Some of the key findings this year include:
- Florida remains a top destination for 2012 and transactions for the Florida Keys are up 37 percent over last year for travel throughout March and April
- There are many great deals for non beach going spring breakers this year. New York, DC and Denver are showing great deals
- Cruising the Caribbean is a hidden gem for spring break planning and a great way to save money but still get to a warm and sunny locale
All data points referenced below are relevant as of March 2012 and prices are subject to change.
2012 Spring Break Outlook
- Florida reigns supreme as a Spring Break destination in 2012
- For many, Florida has come to symbolize Spring Break, and this year is no exception. One of the top markets this year is the Florida Keys where transactions are up 37 percent over last year for travel throughout March and April.
- Another hot spot is Fort Lauderdale where transactions are up 22 percent for travel throughout March and April.
- Rounding out the top three in Florida is Tampa, where transactions are up 12 percent since last year for March and April travel.
- Spring Break does not require a beach
- Expedia travel analysts found New York, Washington, DC and Denver are always popular destinations around this time of year.
- With the nice weather seen in the Northeast, students from Penn State to Boston College can easily get away to New York and take in the sights and activities the city has to offer.
- Washington, DC is experiencing the beginning of the Cherry Blossom season in DC, making it a prized attraction for spring travelers. DC has a lot to offer travelers who have elected to go beach-free this season.
- For students on the West Coast or fans of freshly groomed trails, Denver is a perfect spot to get away.
- All of these markets are showing strong year over year growth towards the end of March to the beginning of April, with upticks ranging from 10-20 percent during this time.
- The hidden gem of Spring Break travel this year is …?
- Finally, one hidden gem that provides almost everything a traveler could want to do over Spring Break, from sun to sea to all-you-can-eat buffets, are all-inclusive cruises that offer great value for the dollar.
- Cruises leaving from Miami for the Bahamas for 3-5 days start at $189. All-inclusive options are typically more expensive, but are popular due to the wide range of amenities and activities they include.
Ways to Save and the Best Spring Break Deals
- Smart travelers book their flight and hotel together to save big
- There’s no better way to save than to book the flight and the hotel simultaneously and booking together saved travelers on Expedia.com more than $250 million last year.
- Travelers can save up to $500 on the combined price. If they book them even a minute apart, that money is lost. This is a booking tip that is well known to travel industry insiders but not as well known to everyone else. So travelers should book their flight and hotel at the exact same time to save.
- Groupon Getways with Expedia
- Royal Solaris Cancun Resort, Marina & Spa in Cancun, Mexico
An all-inclusive, 3.5 star hotel nestled between the Caribbean sea and the Nichupte Lagoon is a family–friendly resort within 2 miles of the El Rey Mayan ruins and Wet’n Wild water parks.
Customers are being offered a rate of $179 per night for 2 adults and 2 children under the age of 12. Customers must book by March 28, 2012.
Package Deals from major College towns
Origin: Ann Arbor, Michigan
This 4-star tropical themed resort is just three miles from the airport and located on the south end of the Strip. A complimentary monorail connects guests to the Luxor and Excalibur hotels. The hotel houses more than 20 restaurants and lounges, an aquarium, the House of Blues concert hall and an onsite theater.
Customers are being offered a rate of $632.50 per person, a savings of $302.00. Package pricing is for April 9, 2012 – April 12, 2012.
Origin: Boulder, Colorado
This 4-star hotel on the Las Vegas Strip is connected to the Fashion Show shopping mall by bridge as well as The Mirage by tram and only a short walk to Wynn/Encore, the Sands Expo, and the Venetian/Palazzo. Treasure Island, designed for high-energy adults offer a tropical outdoor pool and cabanas, a luxurious spa, multiple bars and lounges, Sirens of TI pirate battle, and the salient Mystère by Cirque du Soleil.
Customers traveling between April 9, 2012 and April 13, 2012, are being offered a fare of $276.00 per person which is a savings of $294.00.
Origin: University Park, Pennsylvania
Located in the heart of Miami Beach, this 3-star hotel is just across from the beach and boardwalk and within 1.5 miles of South Beach.
Customers traveling between April 9, 2012 and April 13, 2012 are being offered a rate of $673.00 per person, a savings of $215.00.
Origin: Boston, Massachusetts
This 4.5-star hotel located along the Miami River features stunning city and water views, two outdoor swimming pools, a full-service marina and a luxurious spa.
Customers looking to stay at the EPIC during April 9, 2012 – April 13, 2012 are offered a rate of $804.00 per person which is a savings of $634.00.
Origin: Chicago, Illinois
A contemporary, all-inclusive 4-star hotel offers views of the Caribbean Ocean. In addition to the beach, guests can enjoy several pools including one for adults only and an infinity pool with dancing on the weekends.
Customers looking to travel between April 9, 2012 and April 14, 2012 receive a rate of $1202 per person, which is a savings of $1474.
Origin: Austin, Texas
The 4-star all-inclusive hotel stretches along the white sands of the Cancun Hotel Zone, is within 2 miles for the ruin of El Rey, Wet’n Wild and an aquatic park. The GR Solaris hotel is family-friendly but also caters to adults with an exclusive adult only pool.
Customers who travel between April 9, 2012 and April 14, 2012 are offered a rate of $1192 per person, which is a savings of $1964.